Sembcorp Silulumanzi Blue & Green Drop Achievements
Sembcorp Silulumanzi, on behalf of Mbombela Local Municipality, obtained the following awards from the Department of Water Affairs during the last published assessments:
- Platinum Blue Drop for the Nelspruit Water System (Platinum as a result of obtaining Blue Drop Status for 4 consecutive years)
- Silver Blue Drop for the Matsulu Water System (2 consecutive years)
- Blue Drop for Karino Water System
- Blue Drop for Primkop (Emoyeni) Water System
- Green Drop for Kanyamazane Waste Water System
- Green Drop for Matsulu Waste Water System
Project: SC 902 – Upgrade Central Zone Old Airport Water Supply
The Airport on the outskirts of Mbombela Town received water from a borehole for many years. The water was pumped into JoJo tanks for storage capacity and was then supplied into the reticulation system. The borehole became dilapidated and the water supply could not satisfy the demand required. The JoJo storage was also not sufficient.
A project was created to investigate alternative supply to the airport. Numerous possibilities were investigated and a final design was created by the appointed Consulting Engineers, DMV Consultants Nelspruit Inc.
As can be seen below, a connection was made inside Ntulo Estate on the existing reticulation system. A pump house was constructed which in turn, pumps water through a newly installed water pipeline to the airport.
A new 400kl steel tank was erected at the airport for storage capacity.